Days of note
Today being Friday the 13th of June is not only scary day when Freddy Krueger comes out to wreak havoc but also happens to be the day in between two other very important days in the history of the world. Yesterday was my birthday which of course you already knew. Thanks to all those who sent birthday wishes and/or gifts. To answer the standard questions: No I don't feel any older and no I still don't know what I'm going to do when I grow up/with my life.
The other day of note will be tomorrow, June 14th, our one year anniversary in The Gambia. One year ago tomorrow we arrived in Africa direct from staging in D.C. In some ways it seems like its be awhile since I left the states. I miss family and friends, good food and beer, weekly fishing trips, etc. But in a lot of ways it has flown by to the point that I don't know where all the time went and how I can possibly only have one year left here and what can I get done in that amount of time. I was just reading back through some of the old blogs and could not believe all the stuff that has happened thus far. Pretty amazing. I hope that the coming year will be as interesting and educating as the last one and I hope you continue to enjoy the stories on this blog.
On a more serious note I would like to bring to the attention of the public the potential dangers of sitting under a mango tree. Last night at approximately 10pm GMT Lydia was viciously and deliberately attacked by a mango tree and a fruit bat working in conjunction in the village of Brikama, The Gambia. The victim was sitting under the tree at a local establishment enjoying a beverage when one of the local fruit bats after having finished the choice part of the mango cut it loose from its high altitude perch and sent it plunging though the canopy. Lydia didn't have time to react but only to hear the horrible sound of the mango plummeting though the leaves before taking a vicious blow to the left thigh. This is not an isolated incident. I have nearly been a victim many times myself and have seen many a sole suffer similar fates. You may think your enjoying a relaxing break under a nice shade tree but aren't you really just playing Russian roulette? The victim is recovering and will, as a public service, post pictures of the wounds at a later date.
Not sure what else I can tell you now. I need to get back to work. One of our friends parents is visiting soon and they are going to bring my laptop with them so hopefully that will help with the blogging. I can type stuff up when I'm not at work, more inspired, or more focused. Anyway hope everybody is begining to enjoy summer. Talk to you soon.
The other day of note will be tomorrow, June 14th, our one year anniversary in The Gambia. One year ago tomorrow we arrived in Africa direct from staging in D.C. In some ways it seems like its be awhile since I left the states. I miss family and friends, good food and beer, weekly fishing trips, etc. But in a lot of ways it has flown by to the point that I don't know where all the time went and how I can possibly only have one year left here and what can I get done in that amount of time. I was just reading back through some of the old blogs and could not believe all the stuff that has happened thus far. Pretty amazing. I hope that the coming year will be as interesting and educating as the last one and I hope you continue to enjoy the stories on this blog.
On a more serious note I would like to bring to the attention of the public the potential dangers of sitting under a mango tree. Last night at approximately 10pm GMT Lydia was viciously and deliberately attacked by a mango tree and a fruit bat working in conjunction in the village of Brikama, The Gambia. The victim was sitting under the tree at a local establishment enjoying a beverage when one of the local fruit bats after having finished the choice part of the mango cut it loose from its high altitude perch and sent it plunging though the canopy. Lydia didn't have time to react but only to hear the horrible sound of the mango plummeting though the leaves before taking a vicious blow to the left thigh. This is not an isolated incident. I have nearly been a victim many times myself and have seen many a sole suffer similar fates. You may think your enjoying a relaxing break under a nice shade tree but aren't you really just playing Russian roulette? The victim is recovering and will, as a public service, post pictures of the wounds at a later date.
Not sure what else I can tell you now. I need to get back to work. One of our friends parents is visiting soon and they are going to bring my laptop with them so hopefully that will help with the blogging. I can type stuff up when I'm not at work, more inspired, or more focused. Anyway hope everybody is begining to enjoy summer. Talk to you soon.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home